Knowing the new form of government was fragile and untested, Benjamin Franklin described our system as a republic, if you can keep it. He spoke these words to a woman on the street, likely warning her that regular Americans would need to be involved for the democracy to work.
Our founders knew democracy would require a free press, because people need to know what’s going on in order to participate. Thanks to the many journalists who step up every day for the best obtainable version of the truth.
HOLD ELECTED OFFICIALS ACCOUNTABLE
How do your MoCs vote? Who funds them? Do they represent constituents interests? Do they listen?
- Brad Wenstrup: 513-474-7777, 202-225-3164, Facebook, Tweet, email
- Steve Chabot: 513-684-2723, 202-225-2216, Facebook, Tweet, email
- Rob Portman: 513-684-3265, 202-224-3353, Facebook, Tweet, email
- Sherrod Brown: 513-684-1021, 202-224-2315, Facebook, Tweet, email
- Thomas Massie: 859-426-0080, 202-225-3465, Facebook, Tweet, email
- Mitch McConnell: 859-578-0188, 202-224-2541, Facebook, Tweet, email
- Rand Paul, 270-782-8303, 202-224-4343, Facebook, Tweet, email
A staffer in Sen. Brown’s Cincinnati office said they tally phone calls daily; emails and faxes within a day. She said the DC folks track Facebook and Twitter – but not as frequently or precisely as other forms of input.
In the 1860s, over 100,000 men joined Wide Awake clubs. The movement was rowdy and all white. But it was the mass movement of its day and woke many to the power of the vote. American progressives have a long tradition of awakening people to their responsibility and power. Let’s see what we can do.
HAPPY NEW YEAR
Party strategy aside, Ds across the country are winning on issues that impact people’s lives and vowing to work in a bipartisan way. We need more of them. They need our help.